, , , , ,

It’s been a long week and I’ve been a little too preoccupied with life, to post about it. My heart, mind and body seem to all be in completely different places at the moment. This past week was the clichéd emotional roller coaster. If you followed my Facebook page, then you know a little about what’s been going on in my world .

For starters, last weekend one of my close friends went into an early labor, extremely early. Things were scary for a few days and the doctors performed a C-Section. She is now the proud momma to an adorable tiny boy… 3 lbs 8 oz. A healthy boy, but tiny. Not prepared for him to come into the world yet, I had to meet him empty-handed, but full hearted. I’ve never made any baby things for a preemie yet, but I’m working on it (and hope to post soon). Mother and baby are both doing well. It’s wonderful how something scary can turn out so well.

Early Thursday morning, my mother got a phone call saying she was being offered a kidney for a transplant. I thought it was the best day of my life (it’s okay, Hubster even agreed that I could say it was better than our wedding day). We quickly made plans to head to my parents. My heart and mind were all over the place. Overjoyed for my family’s good news, yet my heart was heavy with grief for the donor’s family. I kept thinking about the (little) information I knew about the donor and her family, she was my age. All day Thursday we waited for the next call, telling us when to be at the hospital. Once the kidney was harvested, we found out that it was no longer viable. My mother actually ended up with a major infection and had to be admitted to the hospital. I wondering what if they had harvested the organs earlier, would my mom already have antibiotics through her system and wouldn’t have ended up with an infection? Or what if the kidney was still viable, but she got the infection, then would anyone else still have a chance to get that kidney?

An Orchid for Mom

An Orchid for Mom

With a hospital room filled with family, friends and flowers, my mother is doing better today, at least her spirits seem to be lifted. She’s still at the hospital, at least until Wednesday. We don’t know much about the infection yet. We just have to wait and see. After a few days at my parents, we headed back home to resume our lives as best we can now. My body is here, but I feel my mind and heart are somewhere else.

Despite the current trials in my life, I feel that my relationships, friendships and myself are stronger than ever. Hopefully I’ll have some positive news to post sometime soon. Until then, I’ll try to get back in the swing of posting recipes, crafts and other activities in my life.