I’m sick of the cold… I hate the short dark days… and the ice in my yard thaws just in time for more snow! I’m miss my short sleeve dresses and my cute strappy heels. Most of all I miss the sun making my freckles come and play.
Winter Blues, Seasonal Affective Disorder or Cabin Fever
What ever you call it, winter blues, Seasonal Affective Disorder or Cabin Fever, when winter starts to become unbearable, there are a few things that I like to do.
These are the primary things I do to chase away the winter…
1) Slather on coconut or lime scented lotions and light coconut or lime scented candles. This tricks my sense of smell to believe it’s summer.
2) Play reggae and Caribbean music and dance around for 10 minutes. My sense of sound is engaged and it gets me moving.
3) Use a light box (finally ordered my own) or wear yellow tinted glasses a little each day.
4) Make sure you take your vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc…
These are some of the secondary things I do to chase away the blues…
1) Slather on a self-tanner such as Jergen’s Natural Glow. When I feel like I look healthy, I feel better.
2) Grill up some chicken and veggies on the grill.
3) Turn up the heat in the house (just one day, when Hubster is away) and run around in my tank top and shorts!
4) Have a luau or “Spring Break” party in winter. Serve summer foods & drinks, play summer games, listen to summer music. Summer clothing a must, swimsuit optional. The more friends you invite into your house, the warmer it’ll get!
5) Purchase a large tropical plant for your living room.
Every summer while away on vacation, purchase several things to stash away for winter. While at Chincoteague Island this past summer, I purchased four cans of crab soup (made local) to do a winter taste testing.