For many people, chicken noodle soup is a comfort food, whether to warm up the fall/winter or get rid of a cold. Every time I make chicken noodle soup I picture my friend’s curly blonde haired niece rapping “Chicken noodle soup, Chicken noodle soup, Chicken noodle soup, Wit a soda on the side.” So today was no exception as I was whipping up a batch of good ol’ Jewish Penicillin…
Directions for my tasty homemade chicken noodle soup:
1) One day before eating, place a whole chicken in a large soup, fill with enough water to cover, and throw in several bay leaves. Boil until chicken starts to pull off bones. Allow to cool for a while and then place in the refrigerator overnight.
2) The next day, remove pot from refrigerator and discard any fat from the top of the pot. Slowly heat until warm, not hot. Remove chicken and separate meat then return to the pot, discarding any fat, skin, cartilage, bones and the bay leaves.
3) Add chopped parsley, thyme, chopped onions, turmeric, fresh ground sea salt, and fresh cracked black pepper to the broth and bring to a boil. Add these ingredients to taste.
4) Add chopped carrots, celery and baby corn (or regular) and allow to simmer.
5) Meanwhile, beat together three eggs and 1 Tbsp. water. Add eggs to 3 c. flour and a pinch of salt. Roll out dough to about 1/4″ thick and cut into strips (I remind Hubster that he’s so much better at getting the dough thinner, this is my subtle way of convincing him to buy mye a pasta press). I love a lot of homemade egg noodles in my soup, so I make extra.
6) Add noodles to the boiling soup only minutes before serving and then enjoy!
* I don’t add a lot of salt and pepper, so I make sure I add a little to Hubster’s bowl before serving him
*I cut my carrots either one of two ways: 1) with my ripple cutter, 2) make thin slices down the carrot before slicing it across, this makes them into little flowers.
*Corn I either use kernels or chunks of baby corn.
*Serve soup with a buttered sourdough roll.
*It is important if you’re making a large batch, to not store this with the homemade noodles, they’ll thicken it into a chowder. It’s best to make a fresh batch of noodles when reheating the soup.
Chicken noodle soup, Chicken noodle soup, Chicken noodle soup, Wit a soda on the side. I may have got the song stuck in my sister’s head as well…